Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Should A Father Masterbate With His Son

Preparatory Year: The Stage Review



Preparatory Year ended July 10, 2010, it is time to take stock of the early Curricula at EHL. I propose you a small retrospective overall theme.

Course
As I could speak in other articles, learning was divided between academic courses (Office, Business Français, Logic, Mathematics), the current operational (Management hospitality, beverage and customer contact, production techniques) and internship .

level of academic courses , I enjoyed the side "applicability" which was put forward, namely that all the work that we were asked was geared towards business use (I'm thinking particularly of the formal correspondence and marketing vocabulary in English, the use of Powerpoint presentations for Project and Excel for financial statistics or math problems featuring situations actual hotel).
The logic course, meanwhile, rose a little from the shackles to give an open mind and above all a spirit of analysis and objective criticism. Although these courses are often the least appreciated by students (because they are very similar to what we did in high school), I had lots of fun to attend. Nothing to say about their place in the curriculum, they can get everyone to level the fundamental themes of EHL.

Regarding the current operational , diversity was much put forward to us getting hit with everything that makes the base of the hotel and catering. This overview seemed necessary to fully understand the direction we take in our studies and, for most industries, my expectations were met.
Without going into details, given the number of courses we've had, I would say that each area has introduced his subject with a special mention for teachers Arts of the table that we have the benefit of their broad knowledge with a style more effective.

The internship , meanwhile, is one of the highlights of the Preparatory Year as it allows to give a practical dimension and applied "real world" to everything we learn in the course. I was fortunate, moreover, to do so within a great team in a match totally with the teachings of the EHL (remember, I served as intern-Night Auditor Hotel President Wilson in Geneva. You can find more information about this in this article ).


Campus
Regarding the campus, I divide my appreciation between Workboats (classrooms, library, restaurants and dining rooms) and leisure buildings (studios, center fitness, sports fields). The

Workboats , where we spend most of our time awake during the preparatory year (group work takes place, mostly in the common rooms and courtyards, obviously, in classrooms) are all very well equipped in hardware (beamers, blackboards, flipcharts, course materials, etc..) and are mostly spacious enough to accommodate us. However, the number of students is constantly increasing, work has been undertaken in the school to increase the space of common rooms and allow each student to work in good conditions, even during periods of high school.
I would note, however, that the temperature of many classrooms quickly becomes very uncomfortable with the month of June, with work in progress, it is difficult to leave the windows open without suffering the noise excavators.

Regarding the restaurants and bars, many criticisms have been made with respect to the diversity of food offered and its price. Without going into the debate, I should point out, for information, the CHFS 3'600 .- credited to my student card earlier this year allowed me to pay the entirety of my meals, snacks and beverages during the academic year and three in the Berceau des Sens meals (the restaurant of the school). Even if some of my colleagues found themselves short of funds before the end of the year, many others have done with surplus.

Compared to the diversity of supply, we must admit that, some weeks, a printing routine moves. But on the whole year and especially in comparison to other food outlets universities of Lausanne, we really can not complain. I even often regaled Mediterranean and Oriental cuisines that were proposed (such as mussels in white wine that I look forward to the coming year). So, overall, a very good impression held food at EHL.

For recreational buildings, a lot of good experiences during Preparatory Year. As I had occasion to say in previous articles, it is strongly advised to take a studio on campus in order to acknowledge the scope of widely varying schedules this year. In fact, I just noticed that it was actually very nice to be five minutes from our course locations when the service ends at midnight the restaurant (and there again the next day at eight hours and thirty) or when you have two hours of break in the afternoon hours when disconnected from some outlets. Moreover, the friendliness of all (or almost) live on campus is very useful in weaving links between students.

Sports fields and gym are well equipped (we only deplore the sauna that is no longer operational) and cater the needs of students let off steam. In addition, sports classes offered help provide variety in the supply of school.


atmosphere:
As I had mentioned an ambassador earlier this year, other students quickly become "your colleagues, your friends, your family, the only people you see." I exaggerate a bit but there is some truth in this hyperbole; the number of hours added to the number of hours of group work quickly fills the entire weekly schedule (the weekend is often free for the Preparatory Year, fortunately) and there is little space for sport and recreation.
We spend so much time between us, which is very good for group dynamics at work but rather a problem for the social life outside school. There are countless couples who were consequently defeated in the fall (this) or friends who did not understand that they spent enough time. At each handle as well as possible the situation.

Nevertheless, it seems important to say that I have met wonderful people during this year and I can only rejoice to see them again in the fall and getting to know students in my new class. Very good record at this level, so.


Opportunities and discovery:
I finish with the point that I consider the most positive of the year, although it does not directly part of the educational objectives of departure: the discovery potential and opportunities by the school. In fact, I had the opportunity, for the first time in my life to eat in the restaurant a head decorated with three Michelin stars (Philippe Rochat) and enjoy cooking Stéphane Raimbault (2 Michelin stars), all at an affordable cost. I've also been involved in numerous wine, beer, and working with expensive products (foie gras, lobster, beef tenderloin, etc.)..
Overall, in addition to classes, we had the opportunity to discover almost everything we wanted in this area, from the moment we provide the effort to seek (and again, there is often no need look no further than the mailbox).
I am delighted, once again, see what the coming year will bring me but I'm already convinced it will be full of good experiences (especially in the framework of the EHL Smile, I would like to integrate).


In conclusion, I can now say that the Preparatory Year has answered almost all of my expectations and has even exceeded. I am fully satisfied and I do not regret the investment it has requested, whether financial, moral, physical or temporal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment